Thursday, August 8, 2013

Hello everyone, I hope you are enjoying some time off this summer. We certainly have made the most of ours! We had a lovely trip out East and enjoyed some cooler temperatures despite the brief heat wave that greeted us the first few days we were in Boston.We spent time seeing a few of the "tourista" things such as the Duck Tours and Plymouth Plantation but we also spent some down time eating fabulous meals in Mayra and Bob's garden. Colman's youngest sister Micah made quite an effort to join us in the evenings after work to be a part and get to know me and Eva a little more. We really appreciated her time and effort in making us feel so special and welcome, especially little E! The entire trip felt this way really with each family gathering. We even got to spend some time with Tom's family who came in from Maine and California. (Tom is Micah's husband/ Cole's brother in-law). Eva really took to them quickly, showing them our wedding pics and making an instant friend and future pen pal, Eleanor. (she is Tom's 8 year old niece) Eva and Eleanor played non stop, talking, laughing, drawing and making silly pictures on the Ipad mini. They ended their night with a sweet hug but not before exchanging contact information: email, phone number, and address. Very sweet!!!!

Inside of a home at Plymouth

 


Micah and Colman


One of Eleanor and Eva's pics!
 


Cole, his mom Marya and Eva


Making smore's!

Mayra and Eva enjoy a moment looking at old pictures...

 
Bob teaches the girls about swords!

Bob and Marya, Tom and Micah, Cole and Me

 
Day Trip to Rockport, MA

Eva and Cole adjust to the cold water! 
 We took a little road trip to Vermont where we met up with Cole's dad and step mom Nancy. They were a delight to meet and although our time with them was short we made the most of it. We spent our mornings lounging in the Adirondack chairs in approx. 45 degree weather while sipping coffee. It was nice to have a relaxing agenda. Do not be mistaken though, we did get moving as the days moved along! We hiked Killington and Eva LOVED her first gondola ride, declaring she would ride down alone and instructed us to go ahead. Cole, his dad and I looked on as she jumped right on, all the while praying the doors closed and that her ride down would be a safe success! This part of the trip was filled with a few firsts for us all! Eva introduced Tom and Nancy to smore's... she could not believe they had never had one! Again, really enjoyed our short visit with Cole's dad Tom and step mom Nancy and look forward to another trip and perhaps next time to their home in Canada.

Our house in Vermont!

Eva explores the pond and small dock out back...

 
 
Colman and his dad do some catching up...


Eva shows Nancy how to get her marshmallow just right!

Nancy, Cole, Tom and Eva

The last part of our trip was spent back in Boston with Marya, Bob, and Micah. Cole's aunt and uncle stopped in for a visit while on their road trip. It was nice having a little time with them as well.
 
Marya and Eva read the 1st book of the classic series The Boxcar Children, The above pic shows Eva's interpretation so far! What a wonderful memory and a great start to reading chapter books!!
 
 Now that we are back in Texas, we are trying to get back to a new sense of normal/ routine. I have started back to work in my new position as assessment coordinator for KISD. Eva is excited and anxiously waiting to find out who her 2nd grade teacher will be... we should know soon.

We have also followed up with the eye doctor and he is impressed with some of the improvement in her tracking muscles in her eyes. Other areas pretty normal/ slow progress. We have omitted some of the daily eye exercises (yeah no more snow angels!) and added new ones. Great resource on a variety of issues, and I thought I would share.  I discovered this site as I researched a little more about Eva's vision as we continue to navigate vision therapy:
 http://www.children-special-needs.org/parent.html

Comments from the ever maturing/ inquisitive Eva!:

Me- Eva, you get to go to Art School with Mimi on Sat, I bought your supplies today... "Yeah!  Are they pink, my supplies? Like brushes...? " No, Mimi sent us the supply list this is real Art classes Eva. "Oh, that Mimi is serious business, I mean she is on it! Not like Margie... I mean she is way more! I mean like when she is ready for bed, she starts snapping fingers and saying come on, to bed!  But Mimi, she is pretty close... she is serious about this Art. I can't wait!"

"Mom and Colman, God told me I am going to have a baby sister, so let's talk about the name Victoria. Do you think she will have blond hair / blue eyes?" Well, Eva ... maybe God meant daddy and Amanda not us. Nope! I do not want anymore brothers and sisters there, I want one in this family!" (said while pointing with both hands down to this house)

"Mom, how does the baby come out? How does it get in your belly? I mean how!!!??" After trying to explain in some sort of age appropriate way, she responds " Mom!!! babies are small when they are born but their heads way bigger than... doesn't that hurt! I mean their heads are big!"

"Mom, Addie (Amanda's youngest daughter, 5 and soooo cute!) is always in my business." I have been working with her, because she says mean things sometimes. I tell her: What are your words saying? Watch  your words Addie. I  dont' want to have to  tell her mom or  tell daddy. So I am working on it. It is hard..." Where did you learn that Eva? "YOU MOM! When I was younger and did not know how to choose my words wisely."

"Mom, Colman's dad has been married a lot... Well you have been married twice, that is unfortunate."

The following two statements were made during our time in the airports this summer:
 1. "Mom, why do they even have 1st class? They should take good care of everyone! I mean what if you had old people who were hungry and you just gave them peanuts! If I had a plane I would give everyone the same and maybe just charge 5 dollars more for a bigger window. But seriously, why do you need first class...?" I must say I completely agree!!
2. While taking shoes off to go through security she says to me as I look on and wait - "I know what you are thinking... It's irritating but you have a kid so it's just something you have to deal with, I will probably be thinking that one day too." ( Smiling very big as she said this)